Cunnan:Old Village pump discussions (moved 2012)
This page contains old discussions from the Village pump. If you need to talk about these issues again please do so there and not here.
A Note on Vandals and Newcomers
I despise vandals. Vandalism to Cunnan articles will be quickly corrected and the vandal's IP outright banned for a an appropriate length of time. Be aware that my definition of "an appropriate length of time" is inversely proportional to the amount of caffeine in my bloodstream.
I encourage anyone interested in making legitimate changes to Cunnan articles to make a user profile -- it's always nice to have new people in our community, and it makes it a lot easier to weed out the vandalism. Paul Matisz 09:51EDT 28 Sept 07
Registration is now required for edits
Hello all, I've been away from Cunnan for a long time as I've been busy with uni. I've read everyone's comments regarding the vandals and have looked at the mess they've been making recently.
Anonymous edits are no longer allowed. Hopefully they can be enabled again later after I've looked at other possible solutions.
There will also be a software upgrade in the next few weeks.
Tobin 12:17, 25 November 2007 (EST)
- Thanks for that Tobin. It's a shame that this has been needed, but all that rolling back was getting quite tiresome, and I wasn't one of those who was doing most of the work. Conrad Leviston 23:25, 25 November 2007 (EST)
- I concur: thank you for taking the (hard) decision -- it hurt me to the heart to see our good work mangled in this way. -- Simoncursitor 19:43, 26 November 2007 (EST)
- Putting in my 2 cents/pence, I noticed that on other wiki's that made this tough choice, those inspired enough to contribute didn't mind signing in, and that usually less than 10% of anonymous edits are valid. This may not have been the case here, but this step does greatly reduce the vandalism and, in my opinion at least, makes Cunan a better place. --Thorgrimr of Dragonsspine 09:50, 16 December 2007 (EST)
- It's a shame this had to be done. I would think SCA folk would be better than that. CsikosLo 00:59, 10 July 2008 (EST)
Problems Uploading images - Fixed
I'm trying to upload a .png image and keep getting an error message: The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver. Is anyone aware of this issue and able to fix it? -- Paul Matisz 16:00EDT 29May11
- I also have the issue. After a 5 year absence in image uploads, I can't correct my Calontir one, lol. Thorgrimr of Dragonsspine 11:17, 7 June 2011 (EST)
- Is this problem going to be fixed by any chance? -- Kirstyn 7:04, 19 Sept, 2011 (CST)
- Most of us administrators don't have access to the software side of Cunnan, just extra interface pages - Cian Gillebhrath 14:32, 10 November 2011 (EST)
This has now been fixed, by the Lochac Masony team! - Yves de Lyle 21:46, 24 November 2011 (EST)
Spam spam lovely spam
I know we have all been busier at removing spam than we have been adding proper content. If Tobin or anyone who can access the software could do anything, could you? One thing that might help is if you can prevent the creation of any pages that end in digits (and possibly new member names ending in digits). That is where all the spam is ending up. A simple regular expression filter should do it, but I don't know whether the software has that capability. - Cian Gillebhrath 14:32, 10 November 2011 (EST)
- Okay, 27 spam accounts removed and their pages plus their images. That is not how I really want to spend my night. Time for a message to the Masonry team. We really need some way of getting around this. Rolling back would be much easier so perhaps stopping people making new pages until they have editted three other pages. - Cian Gillebhrath 00:02, 5 December 2011 (EST)
- Requiring approval to create an account would/should solve the problem, or a decent captcha check might do it. I agree, it's gotten out of hand - AlexandreDavigne 23:50, 7 December 2011 (EST)
- Sent another email to the Lochac masonry and webmaster, having received no response to the first one. - Cian Gillebhrath 10:56, 3 January 2012 (EST)
It looks like MediaWiki ships with a captcha extension, enabling it for account creation would solve a lot of the spam problems. Is there some reason not to do this? AlexandreDavigne 00:13, 21 December 2011 (EST)
- Yeah, I am happy to try anything. The problem is that none of us have access to the system, so we can't change the settings. I am still yet to hear from the Lochac webmaster or Lochac Masonry officers. - Cian Gillebhrath 10:29, 21 December 2011 (EST)
- Pity that. Here's hoping for a response ... AlexandreDavigne 01:02, 5 January 2012 (EST)
- I have got a response, but it wasn't quite relevant to the situation we have here. We have mods, but we have no Admin/SysOp available! - Cian Gillebhrath 11:08, 5 January 2012 (EST)
- As can be seen in http://cunnan.lochac.sca.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges, most of us don't have time to fully moderate this wiki anymore. If any moderator does have the time, I recommend going to the following log pages and doing lots of deleting and blocking: http://cunnan.lochac.sca.org/wiki/Special:Log/upload , http://cunnan.lochac.sca.org/wiki/Special:Log/newusers . I would also check the user pages for all the new users and delete them. The remainder of the pages are only in the recent changes page it seems. There is no log for them. - Cian Gillebhrath 09:11, 17 January 2012 (EST)